Recent survey's have shown that 1 out of 5 teens between the ages of 13-19 admitted to sexting nude or semi-nude pictures of themselves to someone.
Why Teens Tell Us They Are Sexting
- Felt pressured by friends or boyfriends / girlfriends
- It is a way of being flirtatious
- Sexting in response to having received a sexting from someone else first
- It was only meant to be a "Joke"
Social Dangers of Sexting
- Any images or texts can be shared and posted all over the world in a matter of seconds. In almost all cases, a sext message is shared with other friends or individuals outside of the intended recepient. Over 50% of teens indicate it is very common to sharge text messages or inappropriate images among their friends.
- Once an image is sent into cyber space it can never be truly deleted.
- Many images can end up on pornographic or other related websites.
- Sexting often results in a high rate of the sender being embarrassed, ridiculed by peers and in many cases cyber bullying.
- Sexting results in high rates of depression and in serious cases even suicide.